July 8, 2009

Do you remember your first.......beer?


Do you remember what your first beer was? I do. I think I was around 4 years old, it was a coors original with the now banned pull tab. I remember I was living in Idaho and we had guests over playing pool in the upstairs of our split level house (the details are what really matter about your first beer). It was only a sip of beer, but it was disgusting. I looked at my dad and thought to myself how on earth can you drink that stuff? Fast forward about 12 years to my junior year in high school. Have you ever seen that movie Can't Hardly Wait? There is a scene where one of the characters, William, says: "I can't feel my legs...I have no legs." Well I distinctly remember that one as well. I was at a party and I think I might have had a beer and a half (lightweight) and I could not feel my legs, well I could feel them, but they were quite numb.

The point of this is that there are many firsts in our lives and many of them are accompanied by beer, wine, champagne, or other celebratory drink. When a softball team wins the championship (I mention softball because what else is softball for beside finishing off a twelve pack before the 7th inning) they go out for a beer, not lemonade, or tea, beer. When you get married or celebrate an anniversary you toast with champagne. There are milestones that we reach in our lives, big or small, that are special to us, even if only for that moment, they are special to us and we often time celebrate them with a cold drink in our hands.

More often then not when you have your first drink it is a beer, whether its in high school, or college, it is memorable. What are some of your first memories of having a drink? What are some of the funny memories, the sad memories, the first memories (or lack of memory), regardless of what those memories are, they have helped to shape you into the person you are today. So if you want to share those thoughts, now is the time to do it. We won't judge you, because we've all had our share of humiliating moments (at least I hope WE all have and not just me.)

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm, since I just learned of some interesting times that my son had I will share as well. 12th Grade and it was Boones Farm Strawberry Hill (remember this was a loooonnng time ago). Friend and I shared a bottle before school. I had a test that day. Can't remember how I did on the test. Then there was the drive-in theater (yep they were big back then) and a bottle of Sangria. Got sick that time. Never was much of a beer drinker.
    Signed Bryan's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to ask "Does your mother know about this?" but I see that she does... now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sound like fun times. I'm sure there are more things in my past, but I just can't recall them right now. Oh well… So K. I didn't catch any of your comments…

    ReplyDelete
  4. "we've all had our share of humiliating moments"
    You may still have the pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may still have the pictures laying around the house somewhere. Those were some pretty fun days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First drink: white wine with my dad on a camping trip. I was probably 5...and I was dipping my fingers into his wine glass.

    First beer: 10th grade...at the beach. It was probably bud light.

    There you have it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember the first time I drank with you... I do believe it was my eighteenth birthday. That was fun. I also remember the Boone's Strawberry hill that mom was talking about. I, too, had my fair share in the early high school years. Just because it was cheap. LOL. I've got plenty more, but I think I will save those for the family reunion or something. :) Keep up the good posts. I learn more and more about you.

    Bryan's sister

    ReplyDelete