July 10, 2009

Support your local brewery

Do you have a favorite local brewery? It could be a large national brewery, a small locally distributed brewery, or your buddy down the street who brew his or her own beer. Either way they are a favorite for a reason.

One of my favorites is Green Flash Brewery (www.greenflashbrew.com). It was an early Wednesday morning and I had set out to brew beer. I had spoken the night before with Chuck Silva the brew master at Green Flash and arranged to assist in the next days brewing session. When I arrived Brett Stampf had already begun the process by adding the grain to the mash tun and was getting ready to transfer the wort to the boil kettle. I assisted in brewing 500 gallons of there award winning West Coast IPA. I was surprised at how the process to brew 500 gallons isn't really all that different than brewing 5 gallons in my kitchen, just a much larger scale. The most interesting thing that I learned while there was that while they brew about 500 gallons at a time, they mix four batches together for the fermentation process. This allow for slight imperfections to be masked through, what is essentially, blending.

They area local brewery located in Vista, CA in north county San Diego. One of the things that I really enjoy about their beer is there there willingness to include the public. They have tastings on Friday and Saturday and on special occasions. They have supported fight ALD (AdrenoLeukoDystrophy) as well as other local charities and events. There beers are locally and nationally available for purchase, for a list of locations where you can enjoy there beers check out there website.

They really are a great group of people, who work hard and have an extreme passion for what they do. My home brewers group the Society of Barley Engineers (www.societyofbarleyengineers.org) has held meeting on the floor of the brewery and have enjoyed all of their delicious beers. If you are in the area, I highly recommend that you stop by and check it out. It is an experience that you will likely not forget, the smells, the sights, and most importantly the tastes.

If you can't make it to this area of San Diego, then I am sure there are local breweries near you. Do a google search for the brewers guild near you and I think you will be amazed at how many small breweries there actually are throughout the country.

So get out and enjoy some home grown beer and support your local brewery, it is Friday after all, and that is a great way to start the weekend!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment